Monday, September 24, 2012

Is There A BIBLE In Your Emergency Survival Backpack?

IS THERE A BIBLE IN YOUR BACKPACK???

By Pamela Rae Schuffert presenting investigative journalism from a Biblical Christian  perspective-


If not, I suggest you rush to your local Christian book store or Barnes and Noble, and purchase a quality pocket size Bible, preferably zipper or snap cover to protect the pages from being damaged in your backpack. Put it in a Ziploc bag as well to protect from rain and moisture.


YOU ARE GOING TO NEED THE WORD OF GOD TO BRING YOU THROUGH THE TIMES TO COME!

I believe in being prepared for the times we all must face in North America. Knowing what I know from years of research, years ago I decided to put together a very practical and functional backpack for times of true emergency. 

In fact, I have learned to live out of my backpack when traveling for my journalism, and have learned from experience, including in foreign countries, how important certain basics tools of survival really are!

It is important to BEGIN with a quality backpack. My choice is a GREGORY MOUNTAIN "WHITNEY" model expedition backpack. In the times that are coming in North America, you may find yourself forced to flee your home with only what you can carry ON YOUR BACK. Your backpack may have to last for a LONG time. Choose one for quality, comfortable fit, size and endurance.
I have stocked my backpack with very important basics.  A KATADYN WATER FILTER with replacement parts, etc., is a valuable tool to have in a crisis. Water purifying tablets are also important.

An excellent choice  for cooking outdoors is a DRAGONLY "Whisperjet" MSR camp stove , only the size of my fist when collapsed and stored, that cooks excellently in all kinds of weather. Also I have included two MSR fuel tanks as well. When I was performing journalism and camping in the cold Bavarian Alps in Germany, or traveling throughout Israel, or researching across the USA, this powerful little camp stove never failed to provide excellent and intense cooking power, including in colder temperatures and winter settings.
For warmth at night, I chose a North Face below-zero rated down sleeping bag with compression sack to fit in the lower compartment of my backpack. A warm quality sleeping bag is utterly essential for survival in colder weather. When I was car-camping in colder states during the winter for my investigative journalism, I could never afford to keep my engine running for warmth at night, even when there was a blizzard outside. Instead, I would unzip my sleeping bag and use it as a comforter over me completely. It worked wonderfully...even in 20-30 below zero nights. Here in the Arctic circle, I am  still using my sleeping bag as my only comforter at night to keep me warm.


A quality CAMPING KNIFE with  sheath and extra blades is irreplaceable for every camper and hiker or emergency situation. This must also include several knife sharpening tools as well. My personal choice is a CASE knife, made in the USA, with several replaceable blades.

A GERBER camp ax and collapsible saw are also in my backpack. 

CANDLE LANTERNS and spare candles are great for lighting. A mini  flashlight with extra batteries comes in  handy as well.

Fire starter supplies are also essential.

I also will be carrying emergency medical supply basics, some emergency freeze-dried meals, and a two month supply of quality vitamins, plus other assorted odds and ends. Handwarmers, rain poncho, extra Ziploc bags, and many other practical items make for a well-stocked basics emergency backpack.

QUALITY HIKING OUTDOOR BOOTS ARE ESSENTIAL FOR SURVIVAL!  I personally know what it is like to literally LIVE in your boots as I traveled to research,and slept nights in my vehicle to save  on costs. My ASOLO hiking boots (below) literally preserved my feet from severe frostbite as I slept in my unheated vehicle in temperatures up to -30 below zero WITH NO HEAT! Of course, such boots must be combined with warm quality woolen socks,preferably knee-high, for warmth.
Survival clothing is very important as well. There are excellent manufacturers of winter survival clothing items, such as MOUNTAIN HARDWARE, NORTH FACE, PATAGONIA, COLUMBIA and others. I have personally decided to invest into an Arctic expedition quality survival winter coat due to temperature extremes here in Alaska. Should we lose electricity in a crisis during -70 below zero winter months, such clothing will literally save a person's life. I have learned to never play games with killer cold.

Americans living in northern states and colder regions must consider investing in quality winter clothing, because your very survival may depend on it.  I know that my very survival depended on such clothing while researching in some states.

However, while it is important to have necessary survival supplies in every good survival backpack...

IT IS EVEN MORE IMPORTANT TO BRING WITH YOU THE WORD OF GOD INTO EVERY EMERGENCY  
FOR STRENGTH, HOPE,  COMFORT, WISDOM AND GUIDANCE.
You cannot make it through the times we face, without God's grace through Jesus Christ to BRING YOU THROUGH! But remember..."with God, ALL THINGS are possible!" And we can ONLY come to God through Jesus Christ, His Son!

May God bless and protect you and your families throughout the times to come, as you take SPIRITUAL steps of FAITH, and PRACTICAL steps to PREPARE for the coming crises...remembering THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!
"...FOR WITHOUT ME, YOU CAN DO NOTHING."
~JESUS CHRIST~

-Pamela Rae Schuffert
 



No comments:

Post a Comment